Friday 3 February 2012

Why talk when you can sing...

Most of you will know that my family is pretty musical. I grew up in a very noisy house (a pretty mandatory condition since we were Flynns.) Singing is my thing- and I'm glad it is. It is a cheap hobby; Unlike my siblings who have had to buy all manner of instruments to pursue their passion. The rooms in my mum and dads house are littered with musical things and you are guaranteed to find some sort of instrument to fiddle with. Drums, guitars, saxophones, tin whistle, piano (and contrary to popular belief, there are no trumpets) .... Even my walking stick has been dismantled and played like a flute.

But as for my musical passion, it is very easy. It is compact and I don't have to carry my voicebox around in a big case. So this makes me glad. I am not one of those mental people you see on X-Factor who insist they will die if they don't get to boot camp- but I would say singing is very very important to me.

Being a playworker for children, I have learned many colourful songs and developed the art of making up songs on the spot to aid your activity or the point you are trying to make. Since I am off my work, my nephew Charlie gets the full impact of my singing obsession. Thankfully he can't talk yet to tell me to shut up...so I shall carry on. I sing about everything from getting dressed and eating lunch, to singing about cars and triangles (yes, I know a song about a triangle).

People who are very close to me also comment on how I can remember lyrics to hundreds of songs. And I can also pick up and remember lyrics to songs after listening to it once or twice. This is proving to be rather useful.

One thing I really want to develop is memorising the bible (not the entire thing...jings). But it has become apparent that my scripture memorisation skills are pretty mince. I think it is important to recall scripture especially when you need to be assured of God's promises. So, this is where I think God has really blessed me with my singing....

I have sang in churches and various other places since I was 15. I love using my voice for God's glory. Nothing brings me more joy than lifting my voice and belting out praise. At my church, Harvest Bible Chapel Glasgow, we have a policy that the songs we use are accurate with scripture. A lot of them quote directly from scripture- and this has proved really helpful for me. 

Sometimes if I'm struggling, I sing. I find it hard to remember scripture, but I can remember it in a song. So I lift my voice and declare God's promises and remind myself to keep praising. Preparing for singing on Sunday has really blessed me this week. The songs have really ministered to me and I'm looking forward to giving them back to God.

 'Let now the weak say I have strength, by the spirit of power that raised Christ from the dead. Let now the poor stand and confess, that MY PORTION IS HIM, AND I'M MORE THAN BLESSED.'

'Triangle ABC, Triangle 123...123 it's a triangle....count to three you've got a triangle!'

1 comment:

  1. It's not the verbatim memory of scripture that really matters more the memory each scriptures prints on your heart... Of this I have confidence in you my beautiful girl x

    ReplyDelete