Thursday 2 February 2012

Just in time.

Sometimes when I sit and reflect on the past few months, I think about the things I can no longer do. I can't lift or move heavy things, I can't walk very far, I can't get up from sitting on the floor in a graceful manner, and I cannot run (although some would say that's a good thing since I was regularly compared to running like a duck).

The rate at which I lost these abilities was a bit too quick for my liking and it took some time to accept this. Some people comment on how I am still so young (many thanks), far too young to be having problems like this. I was obviously unable to control why and when I became ill, but when I think about the timing of it all, I thank God for His grace.

I think everyone has a destination list- a list of destinations that they want to visit (...in case anyone didn't catch that.) As for me, I've pretty much been to all my places. I've been to Rome to soak up the history, I've been to Florence to overwhelm my appetite for art, Barcelona to see Gaudi's cathedral, and New York to pound the streets and skip down broadway... Although I didn't actually skip for fear of accidentally jay-walking and gettin nicked, but it sounds a lot more whimsical and romantic.

I never would have been able to experience all these awesome places if my legs weren't able to take me. I am thankful to God for giving me these opportunities before now. I was also able to take the most joyus walk of my life, which was down the aisle on my wedding day and dance all night to my nine-piece funk band. And I actually did dance all night- as did everyone else. 

The point is, my legs have carried me when I needed them most! And I will never take that for granted. It's not as if I'm crippled- far from it. And it's not as if I am rendered immobile. I know still have so much more mobility than a lot of people. But the point I am trying to make is that I was able to experience these special moments in life without any underlying pain, tiredness, or anxiety of pushing myself too much. What a huge blessing that has been to me.

There is no perfect time to fall ill, but I can stop and thank God that He has allowed me to experience these things first. I am not using this as a way to get into discussion about sovereignty, but I do want to express that God is good. And how well I know it! God's timing is perfect in everything and I therefore believe that if and when I am healed, it will be just in time.



I may run like a duck, but my dancing is off the chain!

1 comment: