Thursday 16 February 2012

Plan B

Just sitting reflecting on the visit I have just had from my boss. She came over to catch up with how I was getting on and review how things were looking with my job.

I have worked for the same organisation since I left school. It is an organisation that works with children and adults with complex support needs. I started out as a support worker, which involved caring for children in a daycare and respite context. I then developed an interest in the way these children played and became a playworker whilst studying play at Uni. The experiences and times I have shared with the children I have worked with have been truely unique and incredibly special.

I remember all the kids I have worked with and all of them are precious to me. They have taught me amazing things and brightened up many gloomy days. I have developed many close relationships with the families over the years and in some instances been treated like family. I am well acquainted with many grandparents, aunts, uncles and family friends as well as the parents.

When I think about the work I do, I think about sunny afternoons playing in back gardens and trampolines, rejoicing and celebrating with parents at little breakthroughs and quiet moments cradling children in my arms. It really is a sweet and wonderful job to do and I really do miss it.

Things are quite different now and at the moment, the prospect of returning to work seems very distant indeed. My job is highly practical and when I'm not rolling about on the floor with an autistic child, I am cradling a deafblind child on my knee carrying out a tactile activity. This kind of work is pretty much impossible for me to do now- and this is my dilemma.

My work have been amazing at holding my job for me with the hope that I can return- but time is running out. It was basically confirmed today by my boss that they may have to dismiss me due to ill health if I don't show any signs of improvement in the next few months. I can understand and appreciate that it is only fair, and my work have been extremely accommodating up until now, but it is a bit of a blow.

It has forced me to consider alternatives- but at the moment I'm struggling to find any! I am good with kids. And I love kids. Working with children is pretty much all I've ever done, and all I have ever wanted to do. I never thought I would have to reconsider it.

So what can I do? Should I look into different courses and study? Or should I look for a different job? Or should I become a housewife and scrape by with the bills? lol. All of the above are viable options, but none are presenting themselves as the obvious option.

I would say that I'm good with a lot of things, but a master of none. And so there is no obvious career route I would say I could go down. And I therefore propose this- If you feel there is something you think I could pursue (it has to be a viable option mind!) please submit your suggestions. Please note that I am not a brave or particularly ambitious person and I am not very good at business-type things. lol. (and if that doesn't rule out everything, please let me know!)

I have not yet resigned myself to the fact that I will not be able to work with children again, but I feel it is time to establish a plan B (and possibly C and D depending on how many ideas I get!) And if you are the praying type, (and if you're not you should be) I would appreciate prayers too of course.

Me in play mode-it is a very serious business you know...

No comments:

Post a Comment